- 140g ground almonds
- 140g butter, softened
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g raspberries
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to serve
Cooking timePrep: 10 mins Cook: 50 mins
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and base-line and grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Blitz the ground almonds, butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract in a food processor until well combined.
- Spread half the mix over the cake tin and smooth over the top. Scatter the raspberries over, then dollop the remaining cake mixture on top and roughly spread – you might find this easier to do with your fingers. Scatter with flaked almonds and bake for 50 mins until golden. Cool, remove from the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Summer couscous salad
250ml vegetable stock, boiling
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
300g courgettes, sliced on the slant
300g small vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
250g pack halloumi cheese, thickly sliced and then halved lengthways
For the dressing
125ml olive oil
3 tbsp lime juice
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
½ tsp sugar
- Tip the couscous into a bowl, pour the boiling stock over and mix well with a fork. Cover with a plate and leave for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, tip all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Fluff up the couscous with a fork, stir in the chickpeas and follow with half the dressing. Mix well and pile on to a large serving dish.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the courgette slices over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until dark golden brown. Lift out on to kitchen paper. Now put the tomatoes cut-side down into the pan, and cook for another couple of minutes until tinged brown on the underside. Top the couscous with the courgettes and then the tomatoes.
- If the pan is dry, pour in a little more oil and heat it up, then add the halloumi strips and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning them over from time to time, until crisp and sizzled brown. Pile on top of the tomatoes, and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve as soon as possible.